Monday, December 12, 2011

Karlie Kloss: Anorexia or Harsh Criticism?




via vogue.it
This editorial featuring Karlie Kloss, which is featured in Vogue Italia's December issue, has been circling the inter-web for its "(mis)representation of anorexia" and declaration of unhealthiness. It has come under fire for promoting anorexia, eating disorders, and extreme thinness, and has been banned from many sites. According to editor-in-chief Franca Sozzani, one picture from the editorial has been pulled off the magazine's website due to it causing plentiful criticism towards the magazine and backlash against the fashion industry's unhealthy views towards thin models. She regards, however, that the problem is not of Karlie's body (which, I may add, is marvelous!), but the misunderstanding and misinterpretation viewers have of the angles and the type of photography and techniques used. Below is a statement she made earlier this morning:


"I did not remove the first picture from the site because I thought it set a bad example due to its thinness, but because I am aware of the fact that people can easily attach labels without thinking, so I believed I could avoid a pointless debate. I made a mistake. I had to do what I thought was right, that is leave the picture and let everybody express their opinion freely. The picture is beautiful and that's all."


To read more on Franca's view on the dilemma:
http://www.vogue.it/en/magazine/editor-s-blog/2011/12/december-12nd

1 Comment:

Unknown said...

She doesnt know it yet ...
She will die.. soon

Post a Comment